Thursday, August 29, 2013

Fashionable Farewell to Summer White (at least in the Mid-West)

Hello and welcome to Your Little Miss Sew It All's (YLMSIA's) first blog! Since I'm new to this, I'll try to keep it short and sweet. As the title suggests, I wanted to share my latest creation that is soon to be retired. We Mid-westerners typically shelf our white clothes after Labor Day. So here it is, a two piece ensemble by Donna Karan. OOP Vogue pattern 2540. I made top B and skirt C. The top and skirt yoke are made from a poly/spandex knit. The remainder of the skirt is made from a textured georgette.
I cut out and made both pieces in an afternoon. The construction was very straight forward and is rated as EASY. I slightly disagree as I did think that some experience sewing with knits and sheer materials would be helpful. I was aided tremendously by my serger, which I used on the majority of the seams as well as for the rolled hem on the skirt.
Overall, I think this is easy-chic! The skirt yoke is SHORT (I'm talking right under the cheeks!) Boy shorts underneath gave me the coverage (and the confidence-lol!) that I needed.
I wore this to an outdoor concert by the river. It was perfect! Nice breeze (boy shorts!), good jazz (Naijee) and great company(had the hubby in tow).
So, into the closet she will go, behind some other favorite pieces, but not to worry, there are more summers coming and other opportunities to be fabulous! What about you? What smashing garment that you made, are currently making or are planning to make is going to shut your summer down? Thanks for viewing..."I said sew".

Kendra

No comments:

Post a Comment